Other Services

Absentee Voting

  • Absentee ballot applications are available beginning 3 months before election day. You may go in person to vote at the Clerk’s Office as soon as absentee ballots are available, usually 30 to 45 days prior to the election. There is no need to fill out an application if you are voting in the Clerk’s Office.
  • You can make a telephone request for your own ballot application. This application can be mailed, faxed or delivered in person to the municipal clerk. You can down load and print an application by clicking the link below. http://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/AbsenteeBallot/index.pl
  • You can also obtain a ballot for an immediate family member or domestic partner in this same way. The ballot will be mailed to the voter directly or to the immediate family or domestic partner making the request. NOTE: Immediate family member includes: spouse, parent, child, sister, brother, stepparent, stepchildren, stepsister, stepbrother, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, guardian or former guardian.
  • You may make a written request for a “Third Person” (someone other than the voter or the voter’s immediate family member or domestic partner) to obtain and hand deliver an absentee ballot. You must designate, in a written request or application, the specific third person who will handle the ballot, only this designated third person may carry the absentee ballot. Ballots cast in this way must be witnessed by a notary public, municipal clerk or clerk of courts, or 2 witnesses are required.
  • All absentee ballots must be received by 8PM on Election Day, any ballots received after this time will not be counted.

Dog Licenses

Corgi smiling

Animal Welfare:

  • Each owner or keeper of a dog at the age of 6 months or more, on or before January 1st each year shall obtain a license.
  • Valid State of Maine rabies certificates are needed for each dog license. If the dog has a certificate from another state, a Maine Veterinarian must certify the certificate.
  • A dog owner or keeper shall pay a fee of $11.00 for each dog 6 months or older capable of producing young.
  • A dog owner or keeper shall pay a fee of $6.00 for each dog 6 months or older that is incapable of producing young (certification from veterinarian required).
  • After January 31st, a late fee of $25.00 per dog in addition to the annual license fee shall be paid.
  • A person having a pack or collection of dogs for the purposes of breeding, hunting, show training, field trials and exhibition shall pay a fee of $42.00 for a kennel license. A kennel owner may not keep more than 10 dogs per license. Rabies certificates are required for each dog.

Hunting & Fishing Licenses

  • Hunting & Fishing Licenses may be purchased at the Town Office during normal business hours. Or on-line at Moses Licenses
  • Inland Fisheries and Wildlife does NOT recognize any stand alone online program for validation for Hunter Safety.
  • We have been made aware of sportspersons using an online course certificate to show proof of hunter safety. Online courses do not qualify.
  • Applicants for an adult hunting license must show proof of having previously held an adult license to hunt with firearms in any year beginning with 1976 or successful completion of an approved hunter safety course.

Deer and Fish

Residency Requirements

  • Individuals may claim only one state or province as their legal residence.

  • Resident means a citizen of the U.S., or an alien who has been so domiciled for one year.

  • You will not be considered a Maine resident unless:

    • if registered to vote, registered in Maine;
    • if licensed to drive a motor vehicle, made application for a Maine motor vehicle license;
    • if owning a motor vehicle or vehicles located within the State, registered each such vehicle in Maine;
    • complied with the State income tax laws; and
    • if a full-time student at a Maine college or university, and satisfies above requirements.
  • Nonresident means a citizen of the United States who does not fall within the definition of Alien or Resident.

  • Alien means a person who is not a citizen of the United States

Moses/Inland Fisheries Agent

The Town of Bethel has implemented a policy change regarding Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.

  • Effective 10/5/2022 Bethel will no longer be issuing any Licenses or Registrations for out of State or out of town residents.
  • This will include but may not be limited to, Hunting Licenses, Fishing Licenses, ATV registrations, Snow Machine Registrations and Boat Registrations.

The Town will continue to serve Bethel tax payers and Albany Twp./ Mason Twp. residents.

Motor Vehicles

Vehicles can be registered at Town Hall anytime during normal business hours. If you are renewing your vehicle registrations you will need to bring your current proof of insurance, mileage, and your previous registration.

Registration renewals can also be done online at https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/municipal/index.html

  • For new registrations that are purchased as a private sale, you will need to bring a dated and signed bill of sale, a title signed over on the back (for vehicles 1995 or newer), and your previous registration if you are transferring your plates. You will also need mileage and proof of insurance.
  • For new registrations that are purchased from a dealer you will need to bring your proof of insurance, your itemized bill of sale, your certificate of application for a Maine title, or the original title and your mileage.

Please note we are not a “Big Truck Town”. If you are registering a vehicle over 10000 pounds you must start by paying your excise tax here in our office and then finishing it off at a Motor Vehicle Office.

Vehicle Registrations for Bethel residents or Albany / Mason Township residents ONLY!

Voter Registration

The Town Clerk is also the supervisor of elections. The office is an alternative absentee voting place for qualified voters.

Residents of Bethel who are 18 years of age or older can register to vote at the Clerk’s Office. You must show I.D. that has your Bethel physical address on it (a P.O. Box is not acceptable). Proofs of identification that can be shown are Maine Driver’s License, car registration, utility bill or even an envelope that you have received in the mail.

Voter registration can take place anytime during our normal business hours, or you may register to vote on Election Day.

Qualified Parties in Bethel

  • Democrat
  • Republican
  • Green Independent
  • Libertarian

Our polls are located at The Amercian Legion, 85 Vernon Street/ Polling hours are 8am to 8pm.

Are you interested in working the polls? If so, please let us know!

State of Maine Voter Guide

Boats, Snowmobiles & ATV’s

Snowmobiles, Boats & ATV Registrations are available at the Town Office during normal business hours.

This office does not license non-resident snowmobiles.

You may also register your vehicles at https://www10.informe.org/ifw/atv-snow/

Vital Records

  1. How do I obtain copies of birth, death, fetal death, marriage, divorce, and domestic partnership records?

By, law, Maine vital records under 100 years old are considered to be private. In order to inspect these documents, or to obtain copies, an individual must prove that they are permitted by law to do so. Those authorized to view or obtain a copy of a vital record include: The person named on the record, The person’s spouse or registered domestic partner, The parent(s) named on the record, Descendants of the person named on the record (including children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to the most remote degree) The legal custodian, guardian, or authorized representative of the person named on the record, and genealogists who have a researcher card issued by the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Office of Data, Research and Vital Statistics. Effective July 12, 2010, all individuals requesting copies of these records must present positive identification and, if requesting the record of a parent or grandparent and you are not a registered genealogist, proof of direct lineage.

Registered genealogists may only obtain a non-certified copy of a record, unless they can meet the above requirements for obtaining a certified copy. They may only view or obtain a copy of a birth, death, or marriage record.

Records 100 years old, or older, are considered public records and informational copies can be issued to anyone requesting them.

Marriage License

Two rings and Flowers

How to Get a Marriage License

Marriage licenses are issued at the town or city level. The couple must visit the town office in person to apply for the marriage license. • If both of you are residents of the state of Maine, you should both apply at the town office where at least one of you is a resident. If you are residents of different Maine towns, you both may apply in one town or the other - you do not need to apply separately in each town. • If one is from out of state, then both of you should apply in the town where one holds residency. • If neither of you is a resident of Maine, then you may apply in any Maine town office. It need not be the same town where you plan to be married.

Your marriage license is valid for 90 days and can only be used within the State of Maine. There is no longer a Waiting Period from the time your marriage license is issued until your wedding can take place. The person performing the ceremony is responsible for filing the marriage certificate with the town office that issued the marriage license.


To obtain a marriage license: • Photo ID such as a driver’s license may be required. • If this is not the first marriage for one of you, bring a certified copy (raised seal) of the divorce from or death certificate of the last spouse. • Applicants must be over 18 years old. Written parental consent is required for an applicant under 18. Written parental consent and written consent of a judge are required for an applicant under 16. • No blood test is required.


The following individuals are authorized to perform marriages in Maine: • Ordained ministers of the gospel • A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body • Judges or justices (residents of Maine only) • Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar (residents of Maine only) • Maine Notaries - Search for Maine Notaries by Location or Name

Maine does not have Justices of the Peace. Out-of-state Notaries and Justices of the Peace cannot officiate weddings in Maine.

Made with by TownCloud © Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.